Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Root Canal Ponderings

Well, I just got myself scheduled for a root canal.
Root canals are for other people, aren't they?
Evidently not.  I have a cracked molar that is giving me problems.  It has seen better days.

But hey - 50 years isn't so bad (or so....not exactly sure when my molars entered the scene)
We are a generation that has seen the dental profession evolve - literally.

I remember I was about 10 years old with an abscessed molar.  (Hm...is there a pattern here?)
Our dentist was down in the Hollywood area and I think my mom borrowed the car from dad that day to take me to the appointment.  My black-and-white memory sees mom standing at the door as the doctor proceeds with the extraction - without anesthesia....he yanks my tooth out and I scream.


Mom remembers the doctor getting after her for agitating me.  That's not how I remember it.  It actually was a comfort knowing my mom was right there.  It was the pain and anger from the dentist that shook my confidence.

Fast forward to our own kids.  Those little kids all squirrely in the dentist chair.  For the most part, the experience was non-threatening.  The kids were rewarded each time for their bravery.  As a 4-year-old, Rachel was one that just could not accept the big chair as safe.  So, big sister Anna crawled up next to her and a successful cleaning followed.

The wonders of dentistry.  Such a scary experience for some reason.
So, now...I'm heading in for my own dental work....and I'm a little worked up over it.

Doc explained at my consult appointment what was going on with the nerve, putting to rest the idea of any infection.  He said, "If there wasn't any pain, then there would be concern for infection.  Infection means dead nerve.  Dead nerve means no pain."  I guess that's good.

These teeth have served me well for over 50 years.  I'm grateful to have all of them in fairly good shape at this stage.  As a child I assumed everyone had false teeth when they got old - really!  I did!  It seemed many of my elderly relatives had these amazing teeth that could come out of their mouths!

I could opt to have my tooth removed, but... that would bring in other issues.

On the drive home I pondered on the wonder of my tooth.  Yes, this is how my brain works. Just looking at the smallest details of those little bones in my mouth and their function makes me wonder how anyone could deny the love and care of Someone greater who thought teeth would be a good idea.

How could these amazing tools happen by chance?

Just a thought.






No comments:

Post a Comment