Friday, August 17, 2012

Grandma thoughts while waiting....

Our momma-to-be as a newborn on Grandma's lap -
 Great Grandma Meme on the near left,
next to Great-Aunt Marie; Great-Aunt Ede on the right
Yes, we're still waiting for the little one to arrive.  Not as impatiently as the momma, I'm sure...but, we know it's any day now.

It's been 23 years since I gave birth to my last child.  Nearly 32 years since the first.  In those years I've been a slightly surprised how much has changed compared to "my day."  Or....am I the only one who thinks so?

For one, ultrasounds (sonograms) were a new thing 32 years ago.  They weren't routinely done as they are now.  In fact, it was a lab procedure.  When my doctor knew we needed to know why I was experiencing pre-mature labor (like....7 weeks pre-mature), he ordered a sonogram. Lying on the exam table, the technician came in and squeezed the goop on my belly.  I could not see the screen - that was not allowed....because....well, it was a lab procedure!  :)


I could hear others behind the curtain commenting about twins, but had no idea they were discussing my pictures!  Soon the doctor walks in with a grin from ear to ear, "Well, we know why you've begun labor...." and the rest is history - I was carrying twins.

Since that time, my doctor routinely performed ultrasounds fro each of my pregnancy.  And, even then, we never asked what the gender would be.  We were offered...but, it seemed strange to "want to know" before the arrival day.

Another "new" thing is the presence of family members in the birthing room.  Not just daddy, but the mom, the mom-in-law, the best friend....a professional photographer.....and who knows who else....  This growing sense of entitlement has only been developing since the 1970s.  But, when I was having babies, it maybe allowed the husband.  And, certainly for the C-section - which was my required mode of birthing (which is another story for another time), dads maybe were allowed in the surgery.

Our daughter and son-in-law have chosen a private birthing.  They want time to process this experience just the two of them - which is perfectly fine.  They plan to have time for just them and baby before the onslaught of visitors.

It seems like almost back to basics - the old fashioned way.

No comments:

Post a Comment