Monday, January 30, 2012

A Gift Even in Sickness and in Health

We decided to take a few days and head to the coast.  We love the Oregon beaches, and are so blessed to live as close as we do.  There is a cottage we enjoy; affordable, quiet, close to the shores.  It was available, so we packed up and left.

Even though we've been married 36 years (wow! how did that happen??), we don't weary of being together.  No doubt - we do have life struggles and disagreements - but, being together is paramount.  And yet, it's a challenge to keep that as priority.  So, heading to the beach - by ourselves - for just a couple days - is important.

The weather couldn't have been nicer for a January trip.  Clear skies with a few scattered clouds - sunny - and comfortably warm, with just a twinge of chill in the light breeze.  Ahhh....the ocean!  The tides were perfect with the waves in constant rolling motion.  What joy!

With all this going for us - it soon became apparent someone was coming down with something....and fast. Expectations dashed - a direct hit to the week.  Sleepless nights - foggy head - the usual aches and pains.  After our two days, we returned home to continue recovery.  And, life picked up where we left it.....the daily just doesn't slow down because you're sick.

Over the years I've seen what a contrast Ron and I are when each other is sick.  Unfortunately over the years, I've had some major health issues which required major attention.  But, I'm the type that likes to mend on my own.  Just let-me-be is my attitude.  Ron is a precious Mercy when it comes to these issues.  So much so, that he is ever attentive.  It's hard sometimes to receive his generous heart.  It's how I'm wired.

On the other hand - Ron gets sick and he suffers terribly.  Being sick interrupts his work.  Interrupts his thinking.  He goes to bed - and sleeps - and sleeps.  I'm not gracious.  I leave him alone.  I'm jealous of his sickness - it takes away any coveted time together.

It's always a balance in life expectations.

But, most of the time we are very healthy, considering where we are in life.  We are thankful and blessed to have good health and a healthy marriage.  In these autumn years we do experience small, but not insignificant, interruptions to our health.  These take us by surprise.  What will this require of us as we continue to age?  Will we still remain supportive and strong with one another?  For me - I am most impatient.  I want my husband to remain strong and attentive.  I want him to always be available.  But, what if he needs me?  Lately, our wedding vows. in sickness and in health, are becoming more reality to live out.

Upon hearing of friends who have cancer, broken bones taking months to heal, loss of spouses and other....I asked, "I wonder what our winter lives will hold?"  Ron's assuring words came. "By God's grace we will see it through." By God's grace....His grace is sufficient.

This week I read something most encouraging refreshing my heart.  To love - and keep loving - takes effort.  It's an act of will - a selfless act.  We just never know what unexpected things will come our way.  I'm still learning after 36 years - because, those challenges never are the same.

Today, my husband went on an early morning run....I did my three-mile walk.  We had lunch with three of our kids, we held hands.  Our health is good today.  We are still in love.....deeper than when we began - we are thankful for this precious gift - each other.






No comments:

Post a Comment