Monday, January 16, 2012

A Gift of Convenience

"Are you available today, say, about 5:30?" My young friend asked on the other end of the phone.

"I believe so....what's up?" I reply

"I have a meeting tonight and the week is going to be crazy, so, I was wondering if we could meet for tea.  I thought you might like the place."

"MmmM, sounds good....I think it ought to be fine.  Let me pull some things together. I'll look forward to seeing you later."

I did wonder what was on her mind, but figured it was important since she wanted to meet at that particular time.  I needed to get dinner going for the rest of the household before leaving.  Lasagna - that's easy enough.  So, once assembled (non-cooked noodle style) and in the oven, I let those at home know when the oven timer goes off, it's "dinner" and I'd be home later.



I drove to the tea house - in the dark - in the rain - in traffic.  A somewhat familiar part of town, but I had never seen this particular establishment before.  I hate it when I'm looking for a place, driving slower than usual, and there's someone following close behind me - all while looking for a parking spot.  Besides it being dark, raining....and, in this neighborhood...lots of foot traffic, fortunately there wasn't too much car traffic on this particular street.  Yet, I did have to drive around the blocks (notice the plural) several times before a parking spot opened up right in front of the tea house!! Nice!

The tea house, it was full.  I looked around - there she was - waiting at a table.  The atmosphere transported me to some part of Asia - it was decorated so ethnically.  If we didn't look out the window to the traffic we could feel like we were remotely somewhere else.  Very relaxing; comforting.  I settled in.

"So, how are you?"  I asked, looking over the extensive tea menu!  There were so many appealing choices. We made our choices and split a special treat.

She told me about her day, how the week was looking and then, "I'm working on learning it's ok to go ahead and as someone to get together, even if I think they might be too busy or inconvenienced," she explained. "Sometimes it's hard to think past the 'busy' and just make the invitation. So, I wanted to spend some time with you even though I know your days are full and you might not have time...."

Funny, as my mind processed her comments....I didn't even feel I was inconvenienced.  It took a little adjusting, but I felt there was a reason she called.  And, here it was....she wanted to spend time with me!

Inconvenienced?  Not a chance.






No comments:

Post a Comment