Tuesday, February 14, 2012

100 Gifts - My Valentine


Inspired by Ann Voskamp – A shared journey

401. He forgives - over and over and over and…..
402. A spontaneous drive to the coast on a Sunday when he’d rather rest – finding rest in the beauty of the day
403. He cleans the ashes out of the woodstove
404. Says it’s important to “treat” the neighborhood children this last October
405. Manages our finances well
406. Serves faithfully at the elder-care facility – loving those who have trouble speaking, breathing, living….
407. Loves dogs                       
408. Helpful, helpful, helpful
409. Wants so desperately to go hunting…patiently waiting
410. His hands wide – expressive – a joy to hold

 411. His soothing melodious singing voice – standing next to him in worship, hearing his voice – I am blessed
412. He goes cheerfully with me on errands – “You know what I love about these afternoons?” he says today….”It’s getting to spend time together for the little things.”
413. Nails our address numbers to the entry
414. Brings in wood for the woodstove warm us from the chilly fall days
415. Makes sure we are prepared with enough oil for the winter….checks the furnace to be in working order
416. Praying …. Praying …. And more praying …. On his knees
417. Hugs…
418. Praying quietly in his office for the sick families, not knowing chicken soup was already prepared and delivered to the very same families
419. Wisely giving counsel on a purchase – to wait
420. Visionary….dreaming for ideas and a future…as long as I’ve known him

421. He makes hot sub-sandwiches to feed a small crowd in our home – loving to serve our friends
422. He wants me to succeed – encourages me to take a course – for credit
423. Takes pictures of our trees – everyday – as the fall colors change
424. He reads a book because I asked him to
425. A trip to visit my family in Montana – taking the time to bless them – and, me
426. His wisdom and vision to share with son
427. Diligence to rise early and run a few miles – then returns to spend time in the Word
428. His father’s heart has painfully ‘given away’ three daughters – soon, one more
429. He will be called ‘Grandpa’ this summer
430. A glass of wine, a bowl of pan-popped popcorn, just the two of us.

431. Willing to give, and give
432. Comments on my driving – yes, this is a gift
433. He struggles – he wants so much to hear from the Lord – and to walk in His ways – this makes him stronger
434. His example of respect for others
435. My goodness!  I am growing old with my high school sweetheart!
436. He’s not afraid to try new things – even eating fried crickets!
437. Gentle and kind - even when sick
438. Our drives to the beach are the best memories
439. Removes his own warm woolen socks on a frigid night at the Corner giving them to the homeless woman whose feet are blue with cold
440. He loves to hug me, even if he isn’t cold

441. Taking dancing lessons together … he’s a good sport!
442. Telling me he wants to walk with me more – to encourage me – and be together
443. Loves my homemade soups
444. His gift of healing prayer
445. He tries so hard – he bears the anguish on his shoulders – knowing His Grace is sufficient
446. How can I be critical of someone so kind and compassionate?
447. Loves the Word of God as he reads and studies it every day
448. Early, before church, he picks up coffee and donuts for a class then drives to pick up an elderly gentleman for church, then returns him home after making sure the man had some lunch
449. Faithful, faithful Tuesdays and the care facility with his elderly friends
450. Our fun dates to Costco – it’s an event! We meet new and old friends while browsing the aisles

451. To get rid of things is a challenge….yet, giving to those in need, there is no question
452. Asks about the kids and what they’re up to - daily
453. Stopped everything to give a listening ear to his frustrated wife
454. Unloads the car after a trip to Costco….”How else can I help?” as he offers to prepare lunch for his wife whose blood sugar has noticeably dropped
455. An extra serving of oatmeal prepared each morning before I rise
456. A precious and rare note from him – found in my stack of favored cards
457. His running shoes, lined up on the shelf at the back door
458. The three rose bushes he planted – are budding – anticipating spring
459. The sound of him sleeping next to me
460. I’m always taken by surprise when my impatience – is met by his quiet grace

461. His un-asked-for deep shoulder massages
462. He hugs me tighter when I share my fears of our shortening years together
463. Preparing healthy and creative meals for him brings inner joy
464. Random texts that say “I love you” in precious messages
465. Washing his running clothes – knowing he continues to persevere even when he’s not up to it
466. The funny way he lays out my night clothes to get me laughing
467. He’s a man, I’m a woman – we often see things differently – yet, we love each other for the differences
468. He is my Lord’s servant – never have I seen it that way before this and this – crying to God to show me to love and respect my best friend more.
469. Thirty-five years ago he vowed to live his life with me – not with any other – but me – what sacrificial love
470. The ruby – diamond ring – his expression of love toward me from the Proverbs

471. Chicken and dumplings warm his heart – and stomach
472. Six gifts together would not have been if we stopped after the first two
473. My ability to manage the household budget and keep a balanced check book – he’s a great teacher
474. Makes our vehicles available - transportation, help in moving, out of town visitors, as a loaner….
475. By example – our kids are creative in life ambitions, talents and gifts
476. By example – our kids are at ease with people of various backgrounds, culture, age
477. How often do we see someone tenderly take a man’s hurting foot, remove his sock, examine and massage the foot, replace the sock to encourage the one in pain?
478. In high school – there he would be - eating lunch in the cafeteria with the guy who was messy to be seen with – demonstrating tremendous compassion and sincere friendship with even the most difficult people
479. A favorite movie: Shall We Dance
480. A favorite song: Why Don’t We Just Dance?

481. The Way of Love The church of Corinth was divided by arrogance and one-upmanship; marriages can be just as arrogant – the reason for these timeless words
482. Marriage cannot survive by actions alone – there must be motive - the “fruit of the Spirit
483. The fruit of the Spirit is: love – my husband loves me as Christ loves the church – unconditionally and faithfully
484. The fruit of the Spirit is: joy – the joy of the Lord is our strength; weeping may last through the night, but joy comes in the morning
485. The fruit of the Spirit is: peace – there is a peace beyond all understanding when we put our faith in the One who calms our fears amidst the raging storms
486. The fruit of the Spirit is: patience –when he takes a deep breath and pulls me close; marriage is not a sprint but a marathon
487. The fruit of the Spirit is: kindness – the kindness of the Lord leads us to repentance; so is the kindness of my husband patiently leading me
488. The fruit of the Spirit is: goodnessBlessed is the man who fears the Lord who greatly delights in his commandments
489. The fruit of the Spirit is: faithfulness – He will never leave me nor forsake me
490. The fruit of the Spirit is: gentleness – He is not harsh, but lives with his wife in an understanding way

491. The fruit of the Spirit is: self-control – God gives him the wisdom to live a Spirit filled life
492. Thirty-six years ago he asked me to spend the rest of my life with him
493. Thirty-five years ago – we married
494. Thirty-one years ago we began our family
495. Three-and-a-half years ago he gave away the first daughter to marriage – adding a son
496. This summer he will give away a fourth daughter to marriage
497. This summer we will be blessed with a grandchild
498. Our life together continues to shift and change – we don’t know what our future holds, but we know Who holds our future
499. He loves me well
500. Praise the Lord – his heart is firm, trusting the Lord (Psalm 112)

No comments:

Post a Comment